In the latest episode of the Hoops Prospects Podcast (S2-E27), the HPP crew wraps up the college basketball season and hands out their awards for the 2022-23 season. Drew Barton, Ayad Bunni, Jake Copestick, and myself voted for an All-American Team, a Coach of the Year, and a Player of the Year. The All-Americans were chosen by a weighted point system, with first-team votes being worth more than second-team votes and so on.
Only two players were unanimous first-team selections, Indiana’s Trayce Jackson-Davis and Purdue’s Zach Edey. Those two were also the only players to receive votes for Player of the Year, with the nod going Jackson-Davis, mainly based on leading the Hoosiers to victory in both of their head-to-head match-ups with the Boilermakers. The complete results are below, with the players listed by the number voting points received.
|Trayce Jackson-Davis, Indiana|
|Zach Edey, Purdue|
|Brandon Miller, Alabama|
|Jaime Jaquez, UCLA|
|Marcus Sasser, Houston|
|Jalen Wilson, Kansas|
|Azuolas Tubelis, Arizona|
|Jalen Pickett, Penn State|
|Markquis Nowell, Kansas State|
|Drew Timme, Gonzaga|
|Adama Sanogo, UConn|
|Oscar Tshiebwe, Kentucky|
|Keyontae Johnson, Kansas State|
|Ryan Kalkbrenner, Creighton|
|Isaiah Wong, Miami (FL)|
|Tyler Kolek, Marquette|
|Jordan Miller, Miami (FL)|
|Taevion Kinsey, Marshall|
|Brandin Podziemski, Santa Clara|
|Marcus Carr, Texas|
|Kris Murray, Iowa|
|Armando Bacot, UNC|
|Hunter Dickinson, Michigan|
|Kendric Davis, Memphis|
|Jordan Hawkins, UConn|
|Mike Miles, TCU|
|Tylor Perry, North Texas|
|Kobe Brown, Missouri|
|DaRon Holmes, Dayton|
|PLAYER of the YEAR: Trayce Jackson-Davis, Indiana|
|COACH of the YEAR: Jerome Tang, Kansas State|
Other topics discussed in this podcast episode include the latest prospects to declare for the NBA Draft, transfer portal developments, and key coaching changes. Also, LMU’s star guard Cam Shelton joins the show just before he heads to the Portsmouth Invitational, a major draft combine for college seniors. Last but not least, the gang talks about the final stretch of the NBA regular season and answers a bunch of mailbag questions.
HPP S2-E27 CHAPTERS:
1. College Hoops Notebook (2:05)
- Final thoughts on the Final Four
- Is Adama Sanogo a viable NBA prospect?
- Review of our postseason predictions
- The latest on the NBA Draft Early Entries
- Interesting prospects who have yet to declare
- Hot Transfer Portal Developments
- Latest Coaching Moves
- HP All-American Team
- HP Player of the Year
- HP Coach of the Year
2. Cam Shelton Interview (1:39:36)
3. Mailbag (2:10:22)
4. NBA Chat (2:28:10)
- Who will get the last play-in spot in the West: OKC, Dallas, or Utah?
- There is a massive logjam in the West. Do you think it’s possible any teams will take a late-season dive to avoid Phoenix in the first round?
- Player updates: Andrew Wiggins, Paul George, Steven Adams, Naz Reid, Zion Williamson, Julius Randle, Pat Connaughton, and Grayson Allen. Who won’t be ready for the playoffs and what will be the impact?